A Guide to Achieving Meaningful Use
A Guide to Achieving Meaningful Use: Leverage Your EHR to Redesign Workflows and Improve Outcomes provides details on Stages 1 and 2 of Meaningful Use requirements (with early guidance on Stage 3), Meaningful Use gap analysis guidance and electronic health records (EHRs).
A Guide to Achieving Meaningful Use is intended for primary care physicians seeking to overcome barriers found in Stage 1 and plan for Stage 2 and 3 reporting.
Professionals working in regional extension centers or quality improvement organizations can use A Guide to Achieving Meaningful Use to guide physician practices through Meaningful Use attestation.
Health information management professionals and students will find its instructions helpful in understanding EHRs.
It is a resource that offers a roadmap for clinical quality improvement and patient-caregiver engagement in the care decision process by:
- Challenging readers to approach their workflow redesign with the goal of providing the most effective patient care, not merely to only meet a vendor's application design
- Putting patient engagement data to practical use in business and clinical decisions and in staff engagement in the data entry and quality improvement processes
- Demonstrating how physicians can leverage meaningful use to strengthen their practice, not just meet the Meaningful Use criteria
A Guide to Achieving Meaningful Use is authored by professionals with years of experience managing the implementation of EHR projects and data builds, creating policies and procedures and advising medical colleagues on EHR. It features:
- Meaningful Use gap analysis guidance
- Tested workflow analysis and redesign measures, including workflow designs that can be customized for the physician practice setting and specific staff roles
- Documentation requirements
- Tactics for handling CMS inquiries into data reporting barriers
- Benchmarks for EHR vendor applications and training components
- Information on EHR incentive programs
- Sample forms, checklists and charts (available for download)
- Lists of helpful websites and additional resources