2017 ICD-10-CM Hospital Professional Edition, 1st Edition
Select diagnosis codes accurately with Carol J. Buck's 2017 ICD-10-CM for Hospitals: Professional Edition. Designed by coders for coders, this full-color manual includes all the ICD-10 codes needed for today's inpatient and Medicare coding. As coders need extensive knowledge to code with ICD-10-CM - and to choose from the thousands of possible codes - this edition provides an essential background in A&P, pathology, and medical terminology, along with colorful Netter's Anatomy illustrations and clear instructions for using the book. Together with the durable spiral binding, these features make professional diagnosis coding faster and easier. A companion website includes the latest coding news and updates!New to this Edition
- Updated 2017 Official Code set reflects the latest ICD-10 codes needed for diagnosis coding.
- NEW! Enhanced Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting are listed in full in the Introduction, at the beginning of each chapter, and integrated within the code set, providing easier reference to coding rules when they are needed most.
- NEW! Updated design better differentiates between Os and 0s.
- NEW! Netter's Anatomy art symbol is included in the Tabular List, making it easier to look up and understand anatomy.
- NEW color images show difficult coding concepts.
- Convenient Guide to the Updates in the front of the book lists all new, revised, and deleted codes, providing at-a-glance lookup of the coding changes.
- Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting (OGCRs) are listed in full and also integrated within the code set, providing fast, easy access to coding rules.
- Unique! Full-color Netter's Anatomy art is included in a separate section for easy reference and cross-referenced within the Tabular List of Diseases and Injuries, to help you understand anatomy and how it may affect choosing codes.
- Full-color design includes consistent color-coded symbols and text, providing easier access to codes and coding information.
- American Hospital Association's Coding Clinic® citations include official ICD-10-CM coding advice relating to specific codes and their usage.
- 175 full-color illustrations provide visual orientation and enhance understanding of specific coding situations.
- Items are included throughout the Tabular List to ensure accurate coding, providing additional information on common diseases and conditions.
- Additional elements within specific codes define terms and add coding instructions relating to difficult terminology, diseases and conditions, or coding in a specific category.
- Symbols and highlights draw attention to codes that may require special consideration before coding, including:
- New, Revised, and Deleted
- Unacceptable Principal Diagnosis
- Codes that call for the use of additional character(s)
- Includes, Excludes 1 and Excludes 2
- Use Additional
- Code First and Code Also
- Placeholder X symbol reminds you to assign placeholder X for codes less than 6 characters that require a 7th character.
- CC (Complications & Comorbidities) and MCC (Major CC) symbols identify codes associated with the presence of secondary diagnoses from MS-DRGs, and call attention to CC and MCC exceptions.
- Present on Admission symbol identifies the diseases that will always be coded as present on admission.
- Hospital Acquired Condition symbol clearly identifies conditions that are considered reasonably preventable and may prevent the case from grouping to a higher-paying MS-DRG.
- Manifestation code identifies conditions for which it is important to record both the etiology and the symptom of the disease.
- Age and Sex edits from the Definition of Medicare Code Edits help to ensure accuracy by denoting codes that are used only with patients of a specific age or sex.
- Codingupdates.com companion website includes the latest changes to the ICD coding system.
By Carol J. Buck, MS, CPC, CCS-P, Former Program Director, Medical Secretarial Programs, Northwest Technical College, East Grand Forks, MN